Do you still remember the “I Love You Virus?” I am sure most of you still remembers this as it is one of the most destructible viruses to date as it crippled a lot of network system across the globe.
The “I love You” virus made headline on May 5, 2000 when the computer worm attacked millions of Windows PC across the globe. It was sent through email with the subject line “”ILOVEYOU” and the attachment “LOVE-LETTER-FOR-YOU.txt.” The attachment was actually a Visual Basic script and when clicked, it caused havoc on the machine by deleting and overwriting image files. It spread fast as part of the scripts forwards the email to the first 50 contacts in the Windows Address book that is why it caused damage to millions of computers in such a short period of time.
Everyday network systems are at risk of being attacked by viruses, Zero Day Exploit, malware and the like. Here are some of the threats that loom in the Internet:
1. Computer Virus. A virus is a code that adds itself to other programs or files in the computer or server like the operating system and can replicate itself and spread from one computer to another. The term virus is also the collective term use for other threats like malware, adware, spyware and the like.
2. Malware. Malware is short for malicious software and it can be in a form of script or code to perform malicious intent like gather sensitive information, gain unauthorized access and exploit the computer system.
3. Spyware. A spyware is sometimes called spybot and what it does is gather information without the individual’s knowledge and the information gathered will be relayed to advertisers. Spyware can come from software virus or from new programs installed on the PC.
4. Adware. Adware or advertising supported software are software that pop ups advertisement to generate revenue for the author. Adware is generally harmless but it may contain spyware, which can cause problems.
5. Denial of Service Attacks (DOS). DOS are attacks that targets high profile websites like banks and credit card payment system to make it unavailable to its users.
Since attacks and threats are just lurking on the Internet, companies must implement Browser and Malware Protection to protect their network systems from various attacks like the ones mentioned above. One company that can help them implement this said protection is Invincea.
Invincea has a unique and effective protection system called Browser Protection, which can detect, prevent and remove attacks from infecting the network system. It does this by creating a virtual environment, which is on a different layer than the PC’s operating system. All online activities are conducted in this virtual environment, which is monitored and controlled for real-time intrusion and attacks detection. Once a threat has been discovered, auto recovery will soon start which cleans the infected virtual environment and gives the user a new and clean virtual environment to work on.
It is true that the Internet is not safe but there are a lot of ways and solution that can deny these attacks and that is through the help of network protection systems like the ones being offered by Invincea.